It hasn’t even been 6 weeks since the “WiFi only” FaceTime Calls were made available in the UK (and we began offering 3G Doctor to UK & Irish patients using iPhone 4’s) but as a result of the completely legal unlocking (via the Safari browser) process from JailBreakMe.com, mobile video calls can now be made between iPhone 4’s over 3G.
And the 7 easy steps:
1) Jailbreak your iPhone 4 by pointing the browser at http://www.jailbreakme.com.
2) Download and upgrade to the latest Cydia package.
3) Open Cydia, Go to Manage then Sources.
4) Click Sources, Edit then add: http://apt.modmyi.com
5) Search for “My3G” — download, and install it.
6) Go through the Rock setup process with a username and password. Open My3G and leave all settings on the default.
7) FaceTime should now work over 3G! — Make sure to “Forget” to accept any WiFi networks if you want to test it in the vicinity of a WiFi network.
While mobile operator codec handled 3G Video Calls are much lighter than FaceTime calls in terms of network load, Mark has also posted a fascinating follow up post that dispels the rather bogus operator fears that making FaceTime video calls available over 3G is exhaustively data intensive. His calculation shows that a 5 minute FaceTime call with “lots of movement” used up 14.7 MB of data, about 3 MB per minute. With UK iPhones being offered with an inclusive 2GB of data that would equate to more than 11 hours of FaceTime calls a month.
Whilst this development reinforces my belief that FaceTime will prove to be key to Apple taking over charging for calling minutes (as iTunes was to customer billing) it does also beg the question of what customers have to do to get their operators to open up proper 3G mobile video calling? If there’s a demonstration anywhere I know what I’ll be wearing…
On a much more serious note: we’re recommending customers don’t attempt to JailBreak their devices and only visit trusted websites until Apple issue an update because the JailBreakMe service has exposed a critical security hole in the Apple iOS that needs urgently patching.