Thought it might be helpful to share this list I compiled as part of a project for a consulting client:
1) Sleep by MotionX by MotionX™ $2.99
HOLIDAY SPECIAL: Sleep by MotionX is now 70% off, only $2.99 for a limited time!
★★★★★ “Truly refreshing”
-Joel Mathis, Macworld
★★★★★ “I recommend this app to everyone”
-Robert Nelson, Technology Tell
★★★★★ “This app works wonderfully”
-Lori Gil, AppAdvice
“Sleep by MotionX” encapsulates seven years of research and development in the biomechanics of natural human motion and sleep optimization to bring the best professional medical-class tool to the iPhone and iPod touch. Sleep by MotionX is the first solution for the iPhone and iPod touch that measures and correlates resting heart rate, includes advanced sleep cycle monitoring with smart alarms and power naps, and incorporates “Get Active” alerts. All these tools help improve sleep in a natural and non-invasive manner.
• Measure and correlate resting heart rate with sleep quality
• The most advanced and accurate sleep-cycle alarm solution for the iPhone
• Set smart alarms for optimal length power-naps
• Advanced automatic Get Active alerts
• Monitor & analyze your sleep cycles
• Wake up refreshed and rested at the optimal time in your sleep cycle
• Visualize sleep: see your light sleep, deep sleep, and total sleep times
• Relax and fall asleep to white noise or music, auto-fades out after you fall asleep
WAKE UP REFRESHED
• Intelligent alarm clock wakes you up refreshed and rested at the optimal time in your sleep cycle
• Multiple alarms, snooze, vibration
• Wake up to your favorite iPod song, or one of many built-in sounds of nature
BE MORE ACTIVE
• Accurately track daily steps and calories burned
• Set up “Get Active” alerts to let you know when you’ve been idle for too long
• Use the voice coach during a timed activity to track progress and inspire you to keep moving
HEART RATE MONITOR
• Use your iPhone’s camera to detect the pulse from your fingertip
• Similar to the technique used by pulse oximeters
• Record resting heart rate and correlate with sleep quality
• Monitor your real-time pulse waveform
NOTE: Placing your iPhone on a solid surface such as the floor or a table while recording sleep causes MotionX to become highly sensitive to movement. This level of sensitivity is required for users sleeping on a motion-absorbing mattress (such as Tempur-Pedic). However, with the iPhone on the floor or table, noise from the accelerometer sensor can be registered as sleep cycles resulting in a random sleep graph and random sleep statistics.
Ensure that you place your iPhone according to the instructions, either in bed or in an armband, so that MotionX can accurately monitor your sleep and wake you at the optimal time. Please watch the in-app quickstart video for placement tips.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
MotionX is committed to constant improvement. We always listen to our users and continuously add the most requested features. We appreciate your feedback!
2) Pregnancy ++ by Health & Parenting Ltd $2.99
Congratulations on your pregnancy!
This pregnancy application is created by Health & Parenting Ltd. together with leading healthcare professionals. Highly trusted information to help you and your baby have a safe and healthy pregnancy.
This application gives expecting parents a comprehensive guide during their whole pregnancy, it’s designed to make the journey of this exciting time even more special.
* Most recommended pregnancy application by Midwives and Obstetricians:
★ Daily info on your pregnancy
★ HD belly and fetal pictures
★ Health / Diet / Exercise / Medical
★ Weight tracker
★ Preparing for labour
★ Birth plan / hospital bag
★ Baby shopping list
★ Baby names list
★ Kick counter
★ Contraction counter
★ Doctor’s notes
The team of Health & Parenting Ltd. wish you a healthy, full-term pregnancy and a safe delivery.
3) Baby Connect (Activity Logger) by Seacloud Software $4.99
Picked by Apple as a featured App for Busy Moms, Baby Connect is the #1 and the most comprehensive baby tracking application on the AppStore. It has graphical reports and trending charts, weekly averages, medicine, vaccine and growth tracking, timers, notifications, reminder alarms, emails, .csv export, an easy to use interface and unlimited data.
Baby Connect is the only application available on iPhone, iPad and on the web. It will synchronize information with your spouse, babysitter, nanny or daycare wherever they are. If you change or lose your phone, no information is lost, you can always connect to your account at http://www.baby-connect.com with a browser or with another phone.
Tens of thousands parents, nannies and child care centers are using daily Baby Connect, more than 100 millions events were saved with the Application.
“Baby Connect is comprehensive and well-designed” – The New-York Times
A top 5 Family & Fun App for Mom – babble.com
“This is an absolutely fantastic tool for learning what’s going on with your baby when you’re away” – theiphonemom.com
“Baby-Connect is just what you need to keep all the stress, anxiety and guilt at bay” – sitestouse.com
“This app is truly the most comprehensive way to log a child’s daily activities” – lilsugar.com
You can record not only feedings, nursing, naps, diapers, milestones, pumping, but also the baby’s mood, temperature, what kind of game he’s playing, his gps location, and attach pictures. A web interface is also accessible for free, so your nanny doesn’t need an iPhone to view and enter information about your baby.
You can compare with previous day and previous week averages, and view the data on graphs to identify trends. You can view when was the last medicine or vaccine. You can also track weight, height, and head size, compare with the US or International percentiles and display the growth chart.
With Baby Connect, you have access to the updates from the caregiver while you’re away. You can also setup notifications to be immediately informed when something happens, and set a reminder alarm and be notified when it’s time for the next feeding, diaper change, medicine, … Your baby will receive much better care thanks to all the detailed information automatically transmitted to each family member, and to the nanny.
* Easily track feeding (bottle, nursing, solid food), diapers, sleep, activities, mood, milestones
* Track pumping and expressed milk
* Track doctor visits, medicines, vaccines, sickness, weight, height, head size.
* Setup reminder alarm to alert for the next event, for instance: alarm 3h after the last feeding (iOS 4+ only)
* Automatically synchronize data between accounts over the Internet
* Display graphical charts of the baby’s activities
* Display growth charts with percentile comparison.
* For Preemies, percentiles are calculated with the birth date or with the due date.
* Display all entries on a graphical Timeline view.
* Timer to track naps, activities, feeding session, mood and nursing duration. The last nursing side is indicated as a reminder.
* Easy to use! Log entries with just a tap
* Easily view past entries
* Email formatted reports, graphs and Excel-compatible .csv files to spouses, doctors and nannies/sitters.
* Enter free-form notes
* Upload child photo, indicate birthday, blood type and allergies
* Track as many babies as you like, setup as many parents and caregivers as you like
* holds unlimited data
* Send entries to Twitter or Facebook
* More than 100 built-in activities descriptions. Descriptions can be customized, new descriptions can be added
* Setup Push notifications
* Send your gps location, display the location on a map
* The application has been designed for maximum security. Everything is password protected.
Visit http://www.baby-connect.com for more info.
4) Pill Identifier (by Drugs.com) by Drugs.com $1.29
Pill Identifier edition is a searchable database which includes more than 10,000 Rx/OTC medications found in the U.S. Features “search as you type” functionality.
Search by imprint, drug name, shape and color. Access a wealth of information, including; Drug Images, Description/Indication, Pregnancy Category, CSA Schedule, Strength and Rx/OTC availability. Connects to Drugs.com for additional information (where available).
See Also: Purchase the Pro edition to install more than 7,000 images directly on your mobile device and get additional information such as NDC Codes, Coating, Clarity and Repackagers. The full edition is specifically designed for healthcare professionals and people on the move or with limited internet access.
Drugs.com does not provide medical or treatment advice. Always consult with a physician.
5) Instant ECG: An Electrocardiogram Rhythms Interpretation Guide by iAnesthesia LLC $0.99
❝Best Electrocardiogram App for the iPhone – INSTANT ECG❞
#1 ECG App on iTunes is ON SALE – for a limited time.
NEW APP from iAnesthesia just released !!!
ECHO Views – Transesophageal Echocardiography Atlas
On Sale for 50% OFF – for a limited time.
Instant ECG – REVIEWS
☆☆☆☆☆ – “Instant ECG is the best ECG guide available for the iPhone”
☆☆☆☆☆ – “The definitive FIVE STAR EKG App.”
☆☆☆☆☆ – “Excellent App for student, resident or attending. I highly recommend it.”
☆☆☆☆☆ – “Helps to keep the rhythms fresh in my mind. Good for a 5-min review. Great quiz functionality.”
Excellent Electrocardiogram Reference
✓ Comprehensive ECG app
✓ Over 90 high resolution ECG Examples
✓ 30 high-definition full screen movies (without audio) of the most common arhythmias
✓ Over 140 Exam Questions to test your Electrocardiogram knowledge and interpretation
✓ Reference Netter Images of the Heart, it’s blood supply, MI correlation to the ECG, and myocardial action potential
✓ An ECG Basics section will help teach electrocardiogram interpretation
iAnesthesia also develops other point-of-care solutions:
→ Pedi Safe: ICU, OR, ED Medications
→ Drug Infusion: An IV Medication Calculator
→ Case Logs: A Surgical & Anesthetic Logbook
→ Instant ECG: An Electrocardiogram Interpretation Guide
Instant ECG was designed as an ECG guide for physicians, nurses, paramedics and other health care professionals. It is an excellent learning tool as well as a quick reference.
• Normal Sinus Rhythm (NSR)
• Sinus Tachycardia
• Sinus Bradycardia
• Sinus Pause
• Atrial Flutter
• Atrial Fibrillation
• Wandering Atrial Pacemaker
• 1st Degree AV Block
• 2nd Degree Wenckebach
• 2nd Degree Mobitz II
• 3rd Degree AV Block
• Wolff-Parkinson White (WPW)
• Junction Rhythm
• Premature Ventricular Contraction (PVC)
• Ventricular Escape
• Ventricular Tachycardia
• Ventricular Flutter
• Ventricular Fibrillation
• Right Bundle Branch Block
• Left Bundle Branch Block
• Right Ventricular Strain
• Left Ventricular Strain
• Anteroseptal Wall MI
• Anterolateral Wall MI
• Lateral Wall MI
• Inferior Wall MI
• Apical Wall MI
• Posterior Wall MI
* Developed by iAnesthesia LLC, which was founded by Anesthesiologists, with the intent of developing high quality, point-of-care apps for health care professionals.
** Instant ECG is compatible with all iPhones or iPod Touch generations, just make sure you have the most up-to-date Operating System Version.
6) BabyScopeApp – Listen to fetal heartbeat by M.O.M.G $4.99
The Baby Scope App, using ONLY the iPhone/iPad microphone, allows you to HEAR your baby’s heartbeat during pregnancy!
No more buying expensive Doppler monitors or waiting anxiously for your next doctor or midwife appointment!
All you need is your iPhone, a simple set of headphones (without a built-in microphone), and… that’s it!
* The app is compatible with iPhone 3,3G , 4, 4S , iPad2,3,4.
* iPod Touch & iPad1 & iPhone 5 are not currently supported.
*You can SEE a graph line of the baby’s heartbeat!
*The baby’s heartbeat (and the graph line) can be recorded and replayed for you and your partner’s enjoyment.
*Future enhancements will include the ability to share recordings via Facebook, Twitter, and email.
How does the app work?
the app use the audio from the Iphone’s internal microphone, amplify and filter it so that the faint sounds of the baby’s heart beat could be heard.
***************Special Attention Please**********************
* Safety measures: Use the app only in airplane mode, to avoid any unnecessary radio waves emissions. (The app does not use any communication capabilities such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or Cellular. It uses only the device’s internal microphone.)
* The Babyscope app was designed for use in the third trimester. If you are at an earlier stage of pregnancy (before week 28), the chances of success are lower.
Be advice :
* Using our app requires accepting our disclaimer terms (EULA) which can be found under “application license agreement” link. Please make sure to read it before you download our app.*
* The Babyscope app is not intended as a replacement for medical advice of any type.
* If you have any medical questions or concerns, consult with your doctor or midwife.
7) Total Baby by ANDESigned $4.99
Picked by Apple as a Staff Favorite and featured in Parenting, babytalk and the Wall Street Journal. Total Baby is the #1 Baby logging and tracking application on the App Store. It will help you log and time all aspects of your child’s care through a smart and sleek interface that makes tracking easy and fun.
It is the must-have high-tech accessory for Parents.
Inspired by my own family, I built this application from the ground up to support multiple children (especially twins) with unmatched features on any computing platform.
Total Baby will help answer important questions, such as how old was my child when they had their DTaP shot?
Or when the baby’s last feeding or doctor visit was.
*** FEATURES ***
Total Baby combines 14 separate timing, tracking, and logging functions into a single complete solution.
TIMING & TRACKING:
Diapers, Nursing, Pumping, Bottles, Solids, Sleeping, Bath, and Other (8 Timers / 9 single events like medicine are built-in or create your own.)
Diary, Milestones, Doctor Visits, Growth, Vaccines, and Allergies
– Complete summary of your child’s day grouped by time (Early Morning, Morning, Afternoon, and Evening).
– The amount of time since the last timed start or end date (selectable via preference setting) for each event.
– Your child’s current age, days until their next birthday, and their most recent photo.
– Edit or Delete any entry without leaving the main screen.
– Jump to any date using arrow buttons or a date picker.
– Tap the “Export Data” button for E-Mail or Sync/Backup/Restore.
(All timers will automatically stop in case you get too busy to remember to turn it off)
– Feeding (Nursing / Bottles / Solids – fluid and solid selection changes dynamically based on the child’s age)
– Bath Time
– Other (Create your own timer or single events like Medicine or Temperature)
ENTRIES: (The baby’s age is shown for every entry)
– Diary and Milestones (Add photos with the built in camera or use previously saved photos)
– Doctor Visits (Grouped by Past and Future Appointments)
– Growth Charts (Weight, Height (0-10yrs.) & Head Percentiles (0-36mos.) with CDC or WHO datasets)
– Vaccines (Pre-loaded with vaccine description and information)
– Universal App: The same great app for iPhone 5, iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
– Holds Unlimited Data.
– Includes 151 built in descriptions and timer events to get you started, these are fully customizable or easily create your own.
– Analyze the Data: Built in Summary, Timeline and 15 Interactive Charts.
– Reminder Alarms: Easily configurable, editable and quite smart about helping with scheduling.
– Sync between iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad over local Wi-Fi.
– Complete Milk Pumping System to track Expiration and Usage.
– Night Mode: Choose a color and level to dim the screen for late night activities.
– Add Past or Future entries in addition to using the timers to record current events.
– Support for 6 children with an innovative dual timer display which automatically detects twins or multiples (via a preference setting).
– Promotion of proper alternate side nursing with both visual cues (safety pins) and automatic Start (alternate) side functionality.
– Backup / Restore your important data over local Wi-Fi and a computer browser.
– Ability to enter in the Expected Due Date of your child so you can start using Total Baby right away. Total Baby will show the amount of days left till the baby is born.
– Automatic Conversion between all units of measurement:
Bottle: mL & oz
Weight: kg, lb & lb+oz
Length: cm, in & ft+in
– Export data via E-Mail (Text / CSV) with an extensive amount of customization which will adapt the output to best match the data types selected.
View the demo videos at our website:
8) Pocket Lab Values by Joefrey Kibuule $2.99
★ Highest rated lab values app on iOS! ★
Pocket Lab Values is the perfect companion for health professionals with access to over 320 common and uncommon lab values.
Designed for medical providers in training and in practice, Pocket Lab Values contains the most important information needed during the daily practice of medicine with critical lab values, differential diagnoses, and relevant websites for each lab value. Plus, data that varies from hospital to hospital like tube colors and reference values can be edited to match your specific institution. Medical and nursing students will also appreciate the notes feature, which lets you add additional information to the app to remember later.
What makes this app better than the rest? Pocket Lab Values has more lab values than any other app on the store because of constant feedback from individuals like you who help to strive and make this app better for everyone.
Included are more than 320+ lab values in the following categories:
+ Cardiovascular (24)
+ Electrolytes (29)
+ Endocrine (28)
+ Gastrointestinal (19)
+ Hematology (59)
+ Immunology (33)
+ Neurology (14)
+ Oncology (12)
+ Renal (26)
+ Respiratory (16)
+ Toxicology (33)
As well as easy access to common lab panels:
+ Antibody Screen
+ Arterial Blood Gases (ABGs)
+ Basic Metabolic Panel (BMP)
+ Complete Blood Count (CBC)
+ Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP)
+ Iron Panel
+ Kidney Function Tests (KFTs)
+ Liver Function Tests (LFTs)
+ Lipid Profile
+ Lumbar Puncture (LP)
+ Thyroid Function Tests (TFTs)
+ Urinalysis (UA)
Lab results have the following information:
• Detailed lab information telling you about the lab in general and why it’s usually ordered
• Reference values in both US and SI units
• Ability to edit normal values, critical values and tube colours to match your local hospital laboratory
• High and low differentials indicating to you possible disease states that could tip you in the right direction of potential diagnoses.
• Ability to write and save notes for you to view later for your reference
• Information about any special tasks needed in order to get accurate results (i.e. chill sample on ice, tell patient to fast the day before, specific foods to avoid that may cause inaccurate results)
• Links to useful external website content from Google, Wikipedia, MedlinePlus, LabTestsOnline, and WebMD
• Other related labs often ordered in a panels together.
Pocket Lab Values has been the leading medical lab value app on the App Store in helping nurses, medical students, and doctors treat their patients quickly and effectively.
9) PocketPharmacist – Drug Information, Interaction Checker, and Medication Organizer by Danike, Inc $1.99
> Drug Information, Interaction Checker, and Medication Organizer
> Featuring Pharmacist summarized drug information on the top 1,500 medications in the United States (growing each month).
> Featuring Med Check, the groundbreaking new way to automatically check for interactions, overlapping side effects and precautions.
> Featuring Med Box, the easiest to use medication organizer.
> Created by a Pharmacist (Doctor of Pharmacy).
> Voted #1 Pharmacy App (best drug information app) by iPhone Life Magazine.
> 900+ user reviews averaging 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.
> Internet connection not required.
> Unbiased drug information (zero pharmaceutical sponsorship).
The founder of PocketPharmacist holds a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and is a licensed Pharmacist. Our primary goal is to help people better understand prescription medications in order to minimize interactions, side effects, and unnecessary drug therapy.
When we summarize a medication for PocketPharmacist, we are extremely careful to only include the information that we would want our families and friends to focus on. Therefore, you can be confident that you are not getting bogged down with unnecessary information.
Med Check, the latest addition to PocketPharmacist, is a groundbreaking new way to ensure medication compatibility. It automatically alerts you to potentially life-saving interactions, precautions and side effects for two or more medications. Best of all, Med Check is easy to use AND understand.
PocketPharmacist also features the easiest to use medication organizer, Med Box. Med Box keeps track of your medications, allergies, medical conditions, Doctors and pharmacies. It is great for:
– Organizing medication lists for your parents, your clients, or yourself.
– Answering the age old question, “Did I already take/give ________?”.
– Determining compatibility between current, or newly prescribed, medications.
For less than the price of a cup of coffee you can put a stop to medication confusion. Don’t hesitate and download the best drug information app now!
For more information visit danike.com
10) Diagnosaurus DDx by Unbound Medicine, Inc. $1.99
★★ Optimized for iPad and iOS 6 ★★
Diagnosaurus — published by McGraw-Hill and powered by Unbound Medicine
This quick-reference tool helps healthcare professionals perform differential diagnosis with speed and confidence at the point of care.
With Diagnosaurus you can quickly search over 1,000 diagnoses by organ system, symptom, or disease, or you can view all entries. Use the valuable “See Related DDx” feature within each entry to consider alternative diagnoses and quickly link to those entries. The convenient “Favorites” feature allows you to save specific searches and bookmark in your personal archive.
Diagnosaurus client for all iOS devices features:
• Optimized interface
• Universal Index Search
• Personalized favorites
• Superior navigation
• “See Related DDx” feature that links entries
Additional iPad client features include:
• iPad-specific interface – not just an enlarged iPhone app
• Side-by-side reading and navigation panes
Author: Roni F. Zeiger, MD
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Professional